Hi & Welcome!
We’re the Abbotsford-Mission Family Practice Residency Team based out of Abbotsford and Mission, British Columbia, Canada. We’re passionate about medicine, your educational journey, and delivering the best care to our community. We know you have several choices ahead and we’re here to help you in making the right decision for your future. Let’s get started!
Highlights of the Abbotsford-Mission Site
- One of the benefits of our program is that our residents complete a 4-week Cardiology rotation with the Cardiologists at their offices and in the CCU. The Cardiologists have a group chat (aka “The Bat Signal“) with residents inviting us to participate in procedures like cardioversions, central lines, and pericardiocentesis.
- We have a Youth Clinic that is part of the Foundry. The Foundry is a centre that provides health care and mental health services to vulnerable youth. We work evening shifts there during our Pediatrics and Psychiatry rotations.
- We allow 18-20 weeks of elective time depending on your needs during your R2 year.
- With the exception of Obstetrics, all of our call shifts end at 2300. Which means you get to go home and sleep in your own bed!
- Abbotsford hosts UBC ICC students from Chilliwack or elective students in the hospital. You will sometimes be on rotation with them or see them in the resident lounge. This provides an opportunity for resident-led teaching.
- All residents complete two weeks of Nephrology as a core rotation in R1. This is a great rotation to learn about chronic kidney disease, working up AKIs, and better understand how dialysis works. Most residents also get to participate in starting dialysis lines as well.
- We’re convenient! When you move to Abbotsford everyone is able to get to the hospital or their family medicine clinic within a ten-minute drive.
- 2nd year call is “Choose Your Own Adventure“! Residents can choose Hospitalist, Emergency, Peds ER, Youth Clinic, Obstetrics, and CCU.
- Special interest opportunities in Youth Medicine, Prison Medicine, Maternity Care, Addictions Medicine, and Telehealth.
- Generally the only learner on each rotation.
- Abbotsford and Mission doctors, regardless of their specialty, are extremely kind and love to teach residents.
City and Hospital Facts
· Abbotsford population: 141,397
· Mission population: 38,833
· 2nd warmest city in the country, average 7°C in December – February.
· Rapidly growing population with ~3000 births per year, 4th highest city in province.
· Abbotsford Regional General Hospital: 300+ beds with ICU, CCU and a busy Emergency Department. We also have a Level 3 Trauma and Regional Cancer Centre.
· Convenient International airport with (budget!) flights to Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Puerto Vallarta and more.
· 45-60 minute drive to Vancouver, 10 minute drive to Sumas US border crossing, 2.5 hour drive to Seattle.
· Short drive to hundreds of hiking trails, ski hills, and lakes.
· Here’s a quick map of the area.
+ Our Abbotsford-Mission site has designed a Program Comparison Tracker to help you in determining the right learning environment. We’re aware that this selection process is a very personal one so we’re providing you spreadsheet that you can modify. (Thank you Dr. Hannah McKay for the inspiration 🙂
+ UBC Family Practice Residency Program also offers a tool identifying the program’s 20 sites. (Note that Abbotsford-Mission is #1 on the list :).