As we experience the unprecedented heatwave, please be aware of the following locations that are cooled and available for students, faculty and staff on our Vancouver campus today and tomorrow:
- AMS Nest — 6133 University Blvd
- Irving K. Barber Learning Centre — 1961 East Mall
- Thunderbird Stadium concourse and stands — 6288 Stadium Rd
- Orchard Commons Open Kitchen — 6363 Agronomy Road, access via west doors off West Mall
- Mercante — 6488 University Blvd.
For any employees who are working remotely, but who wish to work within an air-conditioned space on campus, please discuss options with your manager. Please also note that working on campus is subject to COVID-19 safety plans, as well as the COVID-19 Campus Rules which can be found at https://srs.ubc.ca/covid-19/ubc-campus-rules-guidance-documents.
Managers with questions about specific situations should contact Safety and Risk Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss any concerns regarding safety regulations. Please contact the Facilities team for questions related to buildings, and your HR team for advice in situations where employees cannot attend the workplace or work remotely.
Advice for staying cool:
- Stay out of the sun as much as possible
- Plan ahead for where you can spend time in a cool or air-conditioned place, and seek shade when outside
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat, lightweight, loose-fitting clothing, and sunscreen
- Avoid strenuous activity and exercise
- Drink plenty of cool fluids such as water before you feel thirsty
- Fill up your water bottle frequently at taps and drinking fountains
- Dampen washcloths, hand towels with cold water to make a cool compress
Recognizing symptoms and signs of heat-related illness and heat exhaustion:
- Extreme thirst
- Rapid breathing and heartbeat
- Nausea and vomiting
If you see someone suffering from too much heat, call 9-1-1 and help them cool off by applying water to their face and neck until emergency services arrive. You can also call 8-1-1 to speak to a nurse. Interpretation services are available on these phone numbers.
For additional information please visit https://srs.ubc.ca/hotweather.