“Since mid-May 2020, CDC has been tracking reports of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C), a rare but serious condition associated with COVID-19. MIS-C is a new syndrome, and many questions remain about why some children develop it after a COVID-19 illness or contact with someone with COVID-19, while others do not.

As of 8/20/2020, CDC has received reports of 694 confirmed cases of MIS-C and 11 deaths in 42 states, New York City, and Washington, DC. Additional cases are under investigation.

  • Most cases are in children between the ages of 1 and 14 years, with an average age of 8 years.
  • Cases have occurred in children from <1 year old to 20 years old.
  • More than 70% of reported cases have occurred in children who are Hispanic/Latino (239 cases) or Non-Hispanic Black (197 cases).
  • 99% of cases (687) tested positive for SARS CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The remaining 1% were around someone with COVID-19.
  • Most children developed MIS-C 2-4 weeks after infection with SARS-CoV-2.
  • Slightly more than half (55%) of reported cases were male.”

More here on Health Department-Reported Cases of Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) in the United States ​via CDC.

According to B.C.’s Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry, “B.C. has had eight suspected cases but none of the children tested positive for COVID-19, had COVID-19 antibodies or had known exposures to COVID-19 cases.”  More here on B.C. sheds new light on where and how COVID-19 is spreading, as health officials announce 68 new cases via CBC.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s