In the surfing community I grew up in, we would wake up at dawn and listen to the local radio station’s “Know Before You Go” surf report to hear the latest conditions. Not much has changed! Given our extreme weather we’ve experienced, I’ve posted a series of links that I reference before heading out on the roads, mountains, water, snow, or ice. It’s important to be prepared!
- DriveBC Traveller Information System. No internet access? Call 1-800-550-4997 for BC road information 24 hours a day.
- BC Highway: Webcams
- Windfinder (comprehensive site for wind, waves, and weather). For Abbotsford: click here and then access the forecast, super forecast, report, wind statistics, and webcams.
- Public Weather Alerts for Canada
- Avalanche Conditions in Canada
- Marine Forecasts & Warnings for Canada
- Ice Report for climbers via Gravsports
- Rock Climbing & Bouldering via the Crag
One final note, practice putting on your tire chains in your driveway before attempting it on snowy, slippery roadside conditions. Here’s a short video on it.